Civil Process

The purpose of the Civil Division is to carry out duties according to statutes that give the Sheriff authority to collect monies or property on delinquent taxes, insufficient funds from a worthless check and to enforce the laws within the state of Kansas regarding vehicle registration. The Civil Division is assigned to serve Civil Court documents issued from the various courts of Johnson County. These Courts would include District Court, Magistrate Court, Probate Court, and Juvenile Court. Civil process is also received from other counties within the State of Kansas as well as Out-of-State district courts.

The Johnson County Sheriff's Office Civil Division will not serve process from the Federal Courts. Civil court documents are NOT warrants and do not require an arrest. They are official Court documents notifying persons of civil action being taken by one party against another.

Generally both local and out-of-state courts require an Officer of the Court to deliver court documents. The Johnson County Sheriff's Office will prepare a return of service to the court that prepared the document(s). The person receiving the document(s) will then be able to take some type of action or answer to the courts regarding a specific matter within a given timeframe.

There are certain Service Fees associated with the service of Civil process. Once Service Fees are collected, they are non-refundable.

The Sheriff's Office DOES NOT accept Civil Process by FAX machine.

Fees For Civil Service:

The Sheriff's Office fee for In-State service is $15.00. 

ANY document file stamped by the Court Clerk’s Office will be charged the $15.00 fee. If no fee is included or anything less than $15 is received, the paper will be returned to the filing party with a note in the return field of “insufficient funds received for service”. 

The current Out-of-State fee for civil documents is $50.00.

If there are any questions regarding Sheriff's service fee within Johnson County Kansas, you may contact the Civil Division of the Johnson County Sheriff's Office at (913) 715-5250.

The Civil Division also collects Delinquent Tax owed from any unpaid previous Johnson County Property Tax Bills. The Civil Division is located in Suite 1800 in the Johnson County District Courthouse at:

  • 150 W Santa Fe Suite 1800, Olathe, KS 66061
  • General Information Line (913) 715-5250 Fax: (913) 715-5228
  • Office Hours Mon-Fri 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. CST
  • After hours you can leave a voicemail, or for immediate assistance, call 911.  If it is not an emergency, please call Communications at (913) 782-0720.

Disclaimer:  Laws in Kansas may change and there may be times when information on this web site may not be current. This information is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice. This website is not a comprehensive treatment of the subject and is not a substitute for advice from an attorney.